An ELSA is a member of school staff who has had specialist training from educational psychologists, to support the emotional development of the children and young people within school. The ELSA’s within South Wootton Junior School are Mrs Pratt and Mrs Houchen. They have regular professional supervision from educational psychologists to help them in their work.
ELSAs help children and young people to develop emotional literacy and understand their emotions, and respect the feelings of those around them. They provide the time and space for pupils to think about their personal circumstances and how they manage them.
What is emotional literacy?
• Understanding and coping with feelings about ourselves and others.
• Developing high self-esteem and positive interactions with others.
• Being emotionally literate helps children focus better on their learning.
Some of the areas that ELSAs may work on are:
• Recognising emotions.
• Social skills.
• Friendship skills.
• Anger management.
• Loss and bereavement.
How does the ELSA work?
• A regular slot during the school week for 30-40 minutes, for a period of 6 weeks. This can be increased if necessary.
• Sessions can be individual or in small groups, and tailored to the child’s individual needs.
• Sessions are fun and might include role-play, puppets, board games, art and craft, and stories.
• They include time to talk.
• A pupil’s progress will be reviewed on a half-termly basis.
As a parent/carer, how can you help?
• By informing the class teacher/school if there are any issues that may be affecting your child.
Please feel welcome to contact your child’s teacher or the ELSA if you have any questions.
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is used to prevent cross site request forgery. An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: